Lurk with Krystal


It's no secret that I love movie posters or "one sheets" as they are commonly referred to. Horror fans such as myself love them, and I always enjoy trying my hand at creating them, whether it be for existing films or non existing films. I love to tell a story or sell someone on the idea of checking out a film, so I am always ready to work on a new one when inspiration strikes.

When brainstorming new ideas for shoots with Krystal, we discussed the idea of doing a new movie poster themed shoot. We weren't sure exactly what to build it around, just that we knew we wanted to do it. It wasn't till we noticed a shirt she had that the idea came to fruition. It was simply an orange t-shirt that read "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" that eventually got the wheels turning. The idea evolved into an 80's style monster-themed one sheet for a made-up horror film simply titled "Lurk."

Companion Piece Theater Marquee Image

Once we settled on the idea that our creature feature would be of the monster under the bed variety. It was on to figuring out how to accomplish this shoot and what we wanted it to look like. The checklist we came up with was basically "creepy, sexy, and fun," and from there on out we put it together little by little.

Lurk Theater Banner

I knew from working on two previous projects with Krystal that we have a good chemistry. We wanted it to be faithful to old 80s movie and VHS cover imagery. So we went with the sexy actress in unknowing peril route that was so prevalent in the art those days. Krystal did a great job of looking the part and giving the shots just what we needed. Every time we do a shoot she gets more and more comfortable in front of the camera and is truly one of my favorite people to collaborate with. These photos speak for themselves when it comes to her presence. As for the monster, as in all great monster flicks, it's all about what you don't see. So I opted to only show the hands to hint at the creature and glowing red eyes peeking out from the shadows below the bed. I wanted to leave the rest of it up to the imagination and feel it turned out very effective.

Lurk One Sheet (Main)

Overall I feel these are some of our strongest images to date. They turned out better than I could have imagined. Krystal looks fantastic, the monster turned out really cool, and the whole image satisfies our initial checklist of creepy, sexy, and fun. I hope you guys enjoy this shoot because we put plenty of love into it!

Lurk Alternate One Sheet 

Lurk  VHS advertisement (Village Voice quote version)




Krystal shows off her very own LURK One Sheet.

Lurk VHS Advertisement (Tagline Version)





1 comment:

  1. The subtly in this photoset murders my mind!!! But seriously...great work here man. The fleshy monster hands remind me of Creepshow or something. You're 100% correct on what you "don't see" being the most intriguing part of horror sometimes.

    ReplyDelete