Dissecting Fear: An Interview with Queen of Screams Lisa Fremont


People can criticize social media all they want, but the fact remains when used a certain way, it is a fantastic tool to connect and network with new, cool people who are fun and interesting to talk to. When the majority of your close friends just aren't into the horror scene the way you are, you have to go elsewhere to find like minded folks to discuss your passions and opinions. This is how I met Lisa, I sadly don't recall the initial convo that had us cross paths, but I can say that she was one of the earliest horror related friendships I forged via Twitter. Lisa is not only a die hard horror fan but also a horror journalist who currently writes for the website HaddonfieldHorror.com where you can read a wonderful interview she conducted with her favorite final girl Marilyn Burns of Texas Chainsaw Massacre fame. You can and should check that out at the link provided at the end of this article. She also writes for the site TheHorrorHoneys.com where she covers TV horror in all its glory...or non glory depending on the show. We have had plenty of great conversations regarding all manner of things, plenty of which stem from our love for horror films such as You're Next and The Guest, as well as their respective synth laden soundtracks. So when it came time to prepare this ongoing interview series, I knew I had to include her as I always enjoy hearing her opinion on things. So thank you Lisa for taking time out of your busy schedule to participate, and here we go!


 As a child what horror film and/or horror character scared you the most and why do you feel they had this effect on you?

Freddy Krueger. As a child who suffered from nightmares on a regular basis, the idea of a boogie man that could actually get to me in my dreams seemed absolutely plausible.

Do you have an example telling of an instance or two where this fear really manifested itself and had an impact on you and your behavior?

There was a time period after first seeing "A Nightmare On Elm Street 3" where I was legitimately terrified to fall asleep and would try to keep myself awake.

What VHS covers or horror movie posters scared you as a kid and why do you feel the poster or cover had this effect on you?

"Return to Horror High" and "April Fool's Day" were the two VHS covers that I was aboslutely mesmerized by. It's so silly to look at now, but the skeleton in a cheer leading outfit really unnerved me. The idea that a full skeleton could walk around was terrifying. "April Fool's day" was chilling because it showed a well dressed woman with murderous intentions and I really gravitated to that as a child weaned on Hitchcock. I'm terrified and drawn in by a devious woman





Do you have a specific example of a time you may remember that you have come across one of these and it had that effect on you when you were younger? 

I actually refused to watch "April Fool's Day" until I was around 16 just because I was so terrified of what I was going to see.

What is your definitions of "scary" when it comes to modern horror films these days? So many people are quick to say a film isn't scary but each person has a different definition of "scary" and what that means.

For me, anything that could potentially happen in real life scares me. Home invasion and properly done paranormal films can really do me in. "The Strangers" really, really bothered me for days after seeing it. Sometimes, I still expect to see Dollface when I look out my windows at night.

What do you NOT consider scary or dislike in your horror films?

Rape has definitely become an overused vehicle for horror and I find it disgusting. Rape is a violent crime that I do not like to see used to freely. There are absolutely examples of well done rape revenge films, but they are few and far between.

What do you look for or want to get out of horror films these days?

I am always hoping to be legitimately scared. I want a film to get under my skin and make me think.

What is your favorite recent horror film and why?

I simply cannot say enough about 'The Canal". I believe in ghosts and the idea that bad spirits stick around and continue to cause harm, so this movie really worked for me on all levels. It only used clever lighting and simple, yet amazing, storytelling to properly scare me. Less is always more.


Lastly, do you feel these is a certain way or mindset to have to watch a horror film as far as it being effectively frightening?

I think the only thing necessary is an open mind. Too often, we go into something already assuming the worst and who knows how much that influences our experience. I also believe in knowing as little about a film as possible. I think seeing a million different trailers and reading all of the interviews before seeing a film really dilutes the "Christmas Morning" experience.

________________________________________________________________________

Be sure to  give Lisa a follow on Twitter and Instagram @lcfremont 

Before reading her interview with Marilyn Burns, read what she wrote about what her character Sally Hardesty means to her here!

Read her fantastic in depth interview with the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre star Marilyn Burns here !











0 comments: