TrueHorror.net: The Photography



This entire site was originally based off of my passion for horror and photography and a way to showcase it to the public. The new updated version of TrueHorror.net features a lot of new outlets for my creativity that I have been dying to try. However, even with the new look, I never want my favorite way to express my affinity towards the horror genre to take a back seat, so I have made sure to include a full gallery of all my photography work available for everyone to see.


When I first started taking photos, I started with shooting horror action figures. I tried to shoot them in ways that would make them look more realistic and creepy, setting up lighting and any type of backdrop that could help make them seem more alive. This was my way of “directing” a horror scene. Even if it was just a still shot, I really wanted to try and get the mood and framing just right. After some time, I feel I've accomplished this to varying degrees of success.

After I realized there wasn’t much more to accomplish with shooting inanimate objects, I thought I should try my hand at the next level and move on to live subjects. Staring on this path was not easy. I began with limited knowledge, but learned from each shoot. I knew my way around Photoshop a little, but a lot of things were self taught and other things were learned by seeking out help from people with much more knowledge of the ins and outs of photography. I still remember buying my first regular Canon digital camera: I had no clue what an SLR was compared to my point and shoot cam, but it didn’t matter, I was doing what I could with the equipment that I had. I also learned the sticky perils of using too much corn syrup in my early fake blood recipes and realized how important it was to look at every little thing in the frame before shooting and that there was way more to it than just a pretty girl covered in blood, no matter how engaging that was alone.


As I shot more, grew more confident in my eye, as well as my Photoshop abilities (which originally consisted of moving the color balance and contrast back and forth), I had begun to create more elaborate setups and backdrops in attempt to create a full scene from scratch that would tell more of the story. I had graduated from snapping still shots with toys to directing all out mini-productions starring friends and family in the roles of Michael Myers and his victims. After a stint shooting and producing advertisement imagery for HorrorHound Magazine, I continued shooting and challenging myself more and more with each shoot. I built up a portfolio I was proud of, but also ended up hitting a brick wall creatively and took a break for a while. Now, with October here and Halloween fast approaching, I have been re-energized and I am eager to bring my new ideas to life to share with you all.



1 comment: