Review: The VVITCH


If there is one thing I stress in these reviews, is how much I try to avoid knowing about a horror movie before it is released. 


I have said it time and time again and it has always led to a more enjoyable viewing experience. I have never met anyone who has said "Man, that movie was so much better because I knew all the good parts ahead of time." So with that being said, I remember everyone online saying "THE WITCH TRAILER IS SERIOUSLY CREEPY" "BEST HORROR MOVIE OF THE YEAR" "etc. After seeing all the praise I decided to not watch it and just wait for the film surely if the film's trailer was so creepy then it had to show the best shots, right? After seeing the film tonight, I decided to check the trailers out before writing this review and while they don't give away TOO much (the first is indeed well cut and effective, the second might show a bit more than I would care to see) they still seem to try to sell The Witch as a different film than it actually is. This sentiment was shared by a good friend and fellow horror lover/writer Lisa Fremont who felt this will quite possibly hurt the film more than help it. The trailers sell the film as a much more frenetic and fast paced horror film than it actually is. While this tactic may get a few more butts in seats come opening weekend, it may also attract an audience who won't fully appreciate the film for what it is, a slow yet extremely well put together, classy horror film. 


Without going into too much detail, The Witch tells the story of a 17th century New England family who decide to leave their town and set out to survive on their own rather than be persecuted for their beliefs. They settle onto a piece of isolated land on the outskirts of a forest to make their new life, because this is a horror film this turns out to obviously be a bad decision and the catalyst for the story. There is a presence in the woods (here is a hint it's a witch) and it has a supremely negative effect on the family as they slowly but surely descend into madness, fear, suspicion and paranoia. 

The proceedings wouldn't be half as effective if it weren't for the incredible acting by the cast across the board. Everyone here is superb. For a film that focuses singularly on a family of 5 for it's duration they need to be. I was particularly impressed with the the two youngest children who really were integral to the creepiness of the film for me, and of course the main character, the eldest daughter Thomasin played by Anya Taylor -Joy. But I must again stress everyone is pretty fantastic here. 

I really don't want to give away too much of the story, you can certainly read a more detailed description online by just looking up the film. I will however tell you how I felt about everything else this film has going for it. Aside from it's stellar acting, the film oozes with atmosphere. Not since Under the Skin have I seen such a perfect depiction of a cold, oppressive environment such as the one found here. You can feel the chill in the air and the dampness of the woods in every frame. The naturalistic lighting in the night scenes is another welcome aspect. None of that ridiculous spot light or blue moon light here. Some of the scenes within the woods are some of the eeriest I have ever seen. The authenticity found within The Witch is astounding, everything was thoroughly researched and recreated and it shows. Everything from a production design standpoint is just extremely impressive and that went a long way towards winning me over, even when I wanted a bit more from it's set up and potential.

Earlier this evening after seeing the film I was asked was it scary, a valid question being that it's a horror film. The answer for me is yes and no. It is undoubtedly a horror film, but it must be said that this is not a horror film for every horror fan. The Witch as previously stated is a slow burn. I felt it while I watched it, everything was done well and that is why I was able to still enjoy it, but the pacing may drive a less patient viewer insane. Part of this pace helps to add to the suspense and tension as scenes slowly build up and you are waiting for something to go down, it is only when it doesn't that you may end up frustrated. Still for a more patient fan the film is plenty rewarding, though I must say that I feel it was missing perhaps ONE more Witch-centric set piece somewhere in the film even if I understand that the story is more focused on the unraveling of the family unit because of the Witch rather than focusing on the Witch herself, which is why the film works, but there is one scene in particular midway through involving her that gave me genuine chills and filled me with horror glee, and perhaps one more scene in this vein would have gone a long way to solidifying my positive thoughts on the film and it's perceived fear factor. When it became clear at one point I would not be getting another till the films climax, I did become a bit frustrated, Still the grim atmosphere, it's haunting score and many other occurrences throughout certainly give the The Witch an undeniably eerie vibe but there were not enough moments that I personally perceive to be "creepy", which is what makes a film scary for me. The film ends on a high note and makes you really think about what you have just seen. I always find that to be the mark of good horror film, when it stays with you long after you have seen it. 

The Witch is masterfully crafted in almost every way I don't think anyone would deny that. I simply believe that it has a very specific audience, and like my friend Lisa had said, many will show up to the theater and leave disappointed as they expected something else based on the trailers. I did not know what to expect which for the most part paid off. The Witch is a smaller, more personal horror film that takes it's time telling it's story, I even thought to myself while watching it that I was surprised it had received a theatrical release, not because it isn't a quality film, but more because it isn't your typical horror film that is easily accessible to the masses, this is a good thing. I myself am not the biggest fan of the time period, which is a credit to the fine job done by director Robert Eggers for making it engaging enough for me to take the ride. I didn't find it to be the end all be all of horror like so many critics are claiming, but I did appreciate it and everything that went into crafting it. The Witch will be on many end of the year best of lists, and if you are a horror fan you most definitely owe it to yourself to see why. 

0 comments: